beauty

YSL Rouge Volupté Shine Lipstick - First Impressions

15:17

Yves Saint Laurent describes their Rouge Volupté lipsticks as a 'long lasting, comforting formula' that is 'intensely pigmented and imparts an irresistible glossy shine'. I've wanted to test this theory for some time now, partially because I couldn't resist that premium looking packaging, but also because I was getting bored of my usual go-to lipsticks.

Though I can be horrifically stingy when it comes to buying make-up (and it did take a lot of mental brawling to finally take the plunge), I found myself finally taking a little gold package of my own back home.

Now, the first thing that I have to mention is the packaging. I love the gold, metallic look, and it definitely feels like you're holding a premium product in your hand. The way the colour is displayed behind the branding also makes a nice change, as I'm used to having to look at the bottom of the tube to get any idea of what colour I've picked up. One thing that I don't like, though, is it is difficult to determine the actual name of the colour of lipstick that you've chosen. On the bottom of the packaging, the only description you get is a number, like 8 or 29. However, on YSL's website, the colours have actual names; like number 29 is Rose Opera. This might be just a weird thing on my part, but I like being able to give a colour name if someone asks me what I'm wearing. 'Oh, I'm wearing Peach Passion' sounds better than 'Oh, I'm wearing number 7'. Or is that just me?

Enough about the aesthetics, you don't just buy a lipstick because the packaging looks pretty. Unless you're a bit of an impulse buyer, like I can be. Like I said, this is a first impressions, and I have by no means tried every single colour that this range comes in. The first one that I bought is simply Number 8 (I wasn't able to get the actual name off of the website). It's a pale, peachy tone that is probably one of the lighter colours that I own. It actually matches my lips quite well, and gives them more of a glossy, shimmery finish whilst not diverting too far away from my natural tone. I will say, though, that I found the colour displayed on the packaging of the colour that I bought doesn't entirely match the colour of the actual applied lipstick. I was expecting a much paler, lighter tone than what I actually got, but that was just a small disappointment.

The first time that I wore it, I was going out for afternoon tea with my other half and some family. So, this tested the lipstick quite thoroughly as it had to survive a variety of food and drink; from dainty sandwiches to chocolatey desserts, from mango flavoured tea to ice cold water. I found that it still remained quite firmly on my lips, and I didn't feel like I had to keep reapplying it every few minutes. Despite the fact that I don't have the most hydrated lips in the world, I did find that this lipstick managed to keep them fairly nourished throughout the day, though there was some peeling as evening approached. I wouldn't use this as a firm judgement of how moisturising Rouge Volupté Shine is, however, as I have yet to find a lipstick that doesn't cause my lips to at least lightly peel after extended use.
This is from my first FOTD, where I am wearing YSL Number 8.

Because I loved the feel of this lipstick, I actually managed to persuade myself to purchase another one, number 29 Rose Opera, the next day after I wore it for the first time. I'm not as keen on this colour, as I find that it seems to collect in the creases of my lips and makes the colour seem more uneven. But, despite this, I had the same experience in terms of feel, moisture and pigmentation.

I will definitely be wearing these more often, especially my Number 8, and I might even treat myself to another one in the future. We'll have to wait and see on that one. Have you tried any of the YSL Rouge Volupté Shine lipsticks? What do you think about them? Let me know in the comments below!


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've been dying to try these. You look gorgeous! The packaging is ah-ma-zing and the formula sounds fantastic.

    Gem. x | slightgem.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Yeah, I really love the packaging and they do feel lovely on the lips. Definitely worth a try!

      Delete

Followers

Like us on Facebook