don't starve

Don't Starve - My Recent Addiction

13:22

Make-up isn't the only thing I frequently feel compelled to throw my money at. My Steam library is pretty much chock-a-block with games that I've felt I needed there and then, but then end up being left to play at a later date. If my library were on a shelf, it would be covered in dust, aside from the from the few empty spaces of the favourites that manage to escape once in while. Occasionally, I feel compelled to try out one of these games, whether it's because I've seen a new Youtube series based on it, or because I've been really struggling to find something to do (more often than not).

Not too long ago, Don't Starve Together, a multiplayer version of the game Don't Starve, was released and this sparked several series to crop up amongst my favourite youtubers. I had played Don't Starve several times before, though not for particularly long periods of time. But, the new release, prompted me to start playing again.

Don't Starve is a game that's title makes it pretty self-explanatory. The idea is not to starve, but that's not the only problem you face. Your character, Wilson in the first instance, wakes up in a randomly generated world with no idea what is going on around him. The only clue provided is a passing comment by a tall man in a dark suit, who vanishes in a puff of smoke the moment Wilson starts to come to.

The mysterious Maxwell addressing a knocked out Wolfgang - The Strongman.
The idea of this game is to survive. You have three measures that you have to keep an eye on; your hunger, your health, and your sanity. If any of these fully deplete, your character dies, never to return unless special measures have been put in place. It may seem simple enough - just find food, explore, build fires and pick some pretty flowers. But, in a world where everything is out to get you, it's really not that simple. From spiders to killer bees, from ravage hounds to enraged trees and the pitch black of night, you will die one way or another. It's just a matter of how long you last.

Don't cut down too many trees. They don't appreciate it.
I've played this game a lot now, mainly in sandbox mode, but there's still a lot of it I have yet to explore. I haven't actually even completed the campaign for this game, I've just been enjoying exploring and trying to survive as long as I can. It's a fantastic game to play, though can be rage inducing if your character dies in some silly way. I can't tell you the number of times I've decided to attack a spider on the spur of the moment, only to be killed by a horde of them because I misjudged just how many there were in the area.

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone, especially if you have friends that would be willing to play with you in 'Don't Starve Together'. It's wonderfully quirky, and fun to play. But, be warned, you may end up spending a bit too much time playing it!

I hope you liked this post! Have you ever played this game? Let me know what you think in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Like us on Facebook